A village, where in trained group of farmers are involved in production of seeds of various crops and cater to their own needs, fellow farmers of the village and farmers of the neighbouring villages in appropriate time and at an affordable cost is called “Seed Village”.
- Organisation of seed production in cluster or compact area.
- Replacing existing local varieties with new high yielding varieties.
- Increasing seed production.
- To meet the local demand, timely supply and reasonable cost.
- Self sufficiency and self reliance of the village.
- Increasing seed replacement rate.
- Seed is available at the door steps of farms at an appropriate time.
- Seed availability at affordable cost even lesser than market price.
- Increase confidence among the farmers about the quality because of known source of production .
- Producer and consumer are mutually benefited.
- Facilitates fast spread of new cultivators of different kinds.